Structure of studies
WFY program starts in the end of September and is divided into 3 trimesters. Each trimester lasts from 13 to 16 weeks. After each trimester interim examinations are scheduled. These are followed by one week of academic holidays. The last trimester concludes with an admission test to the field of Bachelor studies of your choice. With the application for WFY you may indicate your subjects of interest, without making a final commitment.
- Trimester 1: from end of September to end of December 13 weeks
- Trimester 2: from early of January to mid-April 16 weeks
- Trimester 3: from end of April to early August 16 weeks
During the Wildau Foundation Year program you will acquire the language proficiency up to operational proficiency for your professional studies at one of the cooperating universities. At WFY we recognized that the most able students are those that have developed good language communication and study skills. In recognition of this we have developed the WFY language teaching program for German as an efficient and effective way of improving language skills.
- First term : strong focus on German language, additionally English language and cultural integration courses
- Second term : German language up to level B2 (independent user) and study oriented preparation in study related subjects, research and presentation skills, academic reading and writing
- Third term : finalization of all courses, personal development and soft skill development, team work, critical thinking and confidence building
German as foreign language
German as specialized language either Economics/Business or Engineering
English as foreign language
English as specialized language either Economics/Business or Engineering
ALTERNATIVE 1: FOCUS COURSE ENGINEERING
Basics in Engineering 1: Physics
Basics in Engineering 2: Engineering
ALTERNATIVE 2: FOCUS COURSE BUSINESS
Mathematics and Informatics
Basics in Economics 1: Microeconomics
Basics in Economics 2: Macroeconomics
Academic Reading and Writing 1: Basics of Text Analysis
Academic Reading and Writing 2: Basics of Writing
Cultural Studies Germany/Europe
Cross Cultural Competences
For each trimester specific study schedules are provided, they include information about the particular subjects, the hours of study and the teaching faculty. In general, classes take place daily from 09:45 to 16:30 resp. to 20:15 depending on the study schedule.
Modules of each trimester are structured to prepare you for the respective interim exams. In case of failing an exam, you will have the opportunity to participate in a re-assessment session at the beginning of the following trimester.
During your studies at Wildau Foundation Year a fellow international student, WFY graduate will be assigned to you to help you with your first steps in Wildau. These fellow mates will make sure that you settle in fine and will guide you through administrative and academic chores of the first months. Don’t worry, it’s going to be fun! And next year perhaps you will become a foster-student!